Vintage Retro Wedding – Ballgowns and Blue Suits
Katie-Marie and Daemen are awesome. I met them at a bridal expo and knew we’d get on like a house on fire as soon as I noticed Katie-Marie’s pin-up style. They met at a ballroom dancing competition, which sounds out of the ordinary but for the daughter of a dance champion (Mark Wilson) it’s completely normal!
After a couple of years of courtship when it finally came to getting married, Katie-Marie and Daemen wanted to incorporate their style and the things they love into their day. So, a 50’s vintage retro style ballroom inspired theme it was (with a little kitsch thrown in for good measure)!
The entire day was held at the property of a family friend in the Gold Coast hinterland, and it was amazing. Katie-Marie and Daemen were married in the gazebo on the terrace in front of their family and friends, we had photos in and around the property, and the reception was held in the 50’s inspired bar area and patio overlooking the lights of the Gold Coast.
Let’s talk about Vintage retro wedding attire. When Katie-Marie said she was going to wear a ballgown I imagined a white ballroom inspired gown, but when she showed me the peach diamonte encrusted piece of fabulousness (an actual tailored ballgown) she was actually wearing I almost died of excitement. Wow. Just wow. And to top it all off, she chose a 50’s style hat with veil to match which just made the whole outfit (ballroom shoes and all) complete. The boys wore a blue suit with black piping and braces and the bridesmaids were fabulous in a mismatched blue floral print dress with petticoat and classic white pumps. Katie-Marie opted for silk corsages for the girls and a mix of peach white and blue silk flowers for her bouquet.
A few things I loved about Katie-Marie and Daemen’s vintage retro wedding:
- Their celebrant Marilyn got in on the action and not only wore a retro dress but helped the couple incorporate the vows of Elvis and Priscilla into their ceremony
- They included both a Catholic and Greek orthodox element into their ceremony to honour each family’s background
- The boys wore red/white striped socks which may or may not have been bought at McDonalds (love that!)
- Daemen arrived on an orange Harley Davidson
- The bride and her father danced down the aisle (and so did the waiting groom)
- The couple have a strange love for Minions, so they had a family friend make a Minion cake topper for their giant cupcake (to go with the retro cupcakes served to the guests)
- There was ballroom dancing
- One of the groomsmen (the bride’s brother) split his pants before the ceremony and Grandma had to stitch them up!
- The caterer’s were a Greek street food style company that the bride and groom loved so much they hired the chef to cater their wedding. The food was soooooooo good!
BRIDE’S DRESS – Martha Williams
BRIDES JEWELLERY / OTHER ACCESSORIES – Family heirlooms
BRIDE’S SHOES – Bride’s own ballroom dancing shoes
BRIDESMAIDS’ DRESSES – Wish www.wish.com
HAIR – Darren Roberts (family friend)
MAKEUP – Bride
RINGS – The Diamond Vault http://www.thediamondvault.com.au/
CAKE CAKE TOPPER – Aunty of Groom
FAVOURS / BONBONIERRE – DIY
CELEBRANT / MINISTER – Marilyn Verschuure http://www.marrymemarilyn.com.au/
PROPS / HIRE PIECES – Family friend